Ostia has always been considered by the experts the perfect place for heliotherapy and in particular for child tuberculosis treatment, thanks to the extraordinary qualities of the air and sea.
For all these reasons the first building which was built was a Summer child health colony: designed by Marcello Piacentini on the western part of the promenade. It could host up to 50 children at one time.
Only after a few years, this structure resulted too small and so the government entrusted Vincenzo Fasolo with the task of designing a much bigger complex just on the other side of the road.
The new building was inaugurated on January 24th 1932 by queen Elena and it was named after his husband, the king Vittorio Emanuele III.
The complex is composed by two parts and each of them had a specific function, that is clearly shown by different architecture styles.
The eastern sector resembles a convent, with its four sides which enclose the internal cloister: all the rooms overlook it. It contains offices, the refectory, the chapel and the necessary spaces used for all the activities.
The western sector was allotted to the dormitories and their services. This part has a typical hospital shaped architecture with right angle rooms.
Currently the complex hosts the Municipal Library “Elsa Morante”, a hostel and the Caritas center for homeless people.
Lungomare Paolo Toscanelli, 176